Friday 6 December 2013

Patons and Baldwins C-793 Monkey Jacket

So, like me, you might be wondering what a monkey jacket is. Turns out it is one of these:


The one on the left. Isn't it fabulous? I was so pleased to find this pattern!

I don't know about you but I find the models verging on the edge of sinister! I think they are meant to be conveying a young, fun, glamorous spirit which at first glance they do. But, then look at their eyes! They are rolled right up and are giving you such a look! I wouldn't be surprised if laser beams shot out!

Anyway, back to the jacket. Monkey or not, it is a lovely cropped jacket which looks all warm and cosy. It is knitted in double knitting using the wool double. This makes a really squishy, warm fabric, thick without being heavy and it hangs really well. The pattern is a rib, slipping stitches on alternate rows.


This is my version, I used a teal wool/acrylic mix and knitted the smallest size, a 30" bust. I took the photos in my local gorgeous haberdashery, Ribbon Circus. It is my latest one to go into Lucy and the Caterpillar.

The pattern blurb tells you to 'notice the collar and the smartly shaped back', so here they are.



The darts at the back add a really pretty detail and pull in the jacket so that it fits closely and does not flare out at the back.


On the left the shoulder darts are visible, these add to the fitted look. The button is vintage and is teal covered leather. I found it in my button tin (one of them), and couldn't believe it was such a perfect match. I have several button tins, my one for modern buttons, one for vintage buttons, my grandma's button tin and one from a family friend. I love sitting sorting through them and it is very calming sitting letting beautiful buttons trickle through your fingers!


The sleeves are three quarter length with cuffs. The pattern is reversed when knitting the sleeves so that when the cuffs are turned the correct pattern is on the right side. I thought that was a really clever, neat touch.

I am really tempted to make this again for me as I really like how it has turned out and it would be such a versatile piece to have in one's wardrobe.


'Oh my! Look at my marvellous monkey jacket'!

10 comments:

  1. You know, now that you mention it, there is something a little unnerving about the expressions on these models' faces...a bit Child of The Corn, if you ask me. Marvelous sweaters though!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you agree about the models Jessica! Nice to know that I wasn't just imagining it!

      Delete
  2. I love it! I have honestly never heard of a monkey jacket but I like it, and I can imagine it's a flattering fit and very easy to wear. And yes, those models are plain creepy. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you agree about the models! I think the jacket would go with so many different outfits.

      Delete
  3. That is one very wonderful jacket that you have knitted - the reverse is really beautifully styled. Very well done for using old patterns - I wish that I had kept all of my mums
    Keep up with the knitting = that is a lovely skill to have
    Best wishes
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Jenny. I am very glad that I was taught to knit when I was young, it gives me such pleasure. Would have been interesting to look through your mum's patterns.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely jacket! I could imagine one in every color for my wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would be very versatile in several colours, and so cosy!

      Delete
  5. I give you a lot of credit for you knitting knowledge! Wonderful:))

    ReplyDelete